Friends of the Library
Since 1975 the Friends of the North Adams Public Library have helped establish a closer relationship between the library and the public by funding programs and materials not covered in the library budget. One of our best accomplishments has been raising the funds to complete the third floor of the Houghton Memorial Building, providing a meeting room space for public use, a kitchenette, staff room, literacy offices, and a Special Collection work room.
In 2017 the Friends approved over $15,000 in expenditures in support of the NAPL. These include:
- funding summer reading programs for children and adults, a babysitting course and staff attendance at professional conferences
- purchasing a digital microfilm scanner, 10 beautiful new computer chairs for patrons, new computer monitors and desk chairs for staff, new furniture for reconfiguring the reference department, and misc. new storage and shelving
- providing passes for Berkshire County museums and attractions available to all card holders and the Book Page newspaper for patrons’ enjoyment
- sponsored various speakers, workshops, concerts and author programs
Our main source of income continues to be the annual membership drive and our annual book sale. Please support these if you can by either volunteering to help with the sale, donating baked goods or purchasing books for your home library. Also, if you make purchases from Amazon, its Amazon Smile program is particularly easy way to support the Friends.
If you would like to know more about the Friends please contact Bonnie Rennell at email@example.com or 413-664-6707.
2018 Meeting Schedule
Meetings are held March through June and August through November on the last Monday of the month at 3:00 in the Community meeting room. All are welcome.
Dates for 2018 are:
- March 26, April 30, May 21, June 25, August 27, September 24, October 29 and December to be determined.
Here are descriptions of some of the Friends Committees
Membership Committee Help produce membership directory and membership campaign
Bake Sale Committee Bake goodies for various library events
Book Sale Committee Organize donated books and help with our annual book sale
Holiday Decoration Committee Decorate the library for holiday season.
The Friends are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to supporting the North Adams Public Library. Donations are tax deductible as allowed by law.
If you have questions or would like more information, please email Bonnie Rennell at bbrennell (at) gmail.com or call 664-6706. Thank you for your generous support!
Thank you for Friends support of the February 2017 school vacation activities including a special performance/storytime by the Pioneer Valley ballet